Saturday, October 13, 2007

Comings and goings

*
This morning my son left for Florida, to go to his father's wedding. His laptop bag was filled with much more than his backpack, so it's questionable whether or not he actually brought with him everything he needs. Like oh, I don't know, a toothbrush? I can only hope. But the boy has priorities.

I came home from work tonight ready for a bit of a nap. It was a long day at work broken up only by lunch with my BF at a nice Chinese buffet restaurant. That was a lovely interlude between boring and frantic at work, from one extreme to the other.

I was reading a magazine and getting very close to laying down on the couch when the phone rang, which doesn't happen that much around here. Anyone who knows me knows I hate the phone. Hate to hear it ring, hate to talk on it, hate to listen to messages from it. I'm not anti-social, I've just worked on the phone for a number of years so it is not my favorite mode of communication.

On the other end was my daughter, a bit freaked out because she and her boyfriend just saw a car coming the opposite direction roll and land in a ditch. Everyone turned out to be okay, but it was scary just the same, and Dani wanted to talk to her Mom. I love that. She still needs me.

And - she was less than an hour from home. Surprise! I had no idea she was coming home for the weekend. I didn't get my nap but I am going to bed now, which is earlier than usual. One child left - but one came home. I guess it all evens out in the end, right? Right.

*

9 comments:

  1. I love that it worked out that way, that Dani came home early as you sent one off...

    She seems like a wonderful daughter! I am hopeful that Em remains as even and as sweet as she grow up.

    Love that she needs you still. I'm known to call my mom when things go wrong. Still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, it used to be that way with my mother, every time Id visit, when I was saying goodbye another one would turn up....she never got any peace! LOL (Very pretty picture by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BJ,

    You never blog about your BF....You may have picked up I am on the nosy side....so tell us a little story..hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, I don't. :) He's not incredibly comfortable with it - so I leave him alone - here - mostly. He's a wonderful man who I wouldn't trade for anything. Brings me flowers all the time for no reason other than because he thinks a girl should have flowers. He loves me regardless of the weight I've gained and he is very good to my kids. He's one of those rare "good ones" - and I'm almost afraid if I brag on him - I'll jinx it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so with you on the phone thing. And I haven't had a nap in nine years. I'm tired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good man; definitely hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice surprise to have your daughter come home and visit unexpectedly. I'm heading over to see my son this weekend for his birthday. We just saw him a couple of weeks ago and I guess we could have celebrated it then. But this gives me a good excuse to go see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does your BF read your blogs? That for sure is true love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes he does. Not every day - but he does go back and read every post. He's a great guy.

    ReplyDelete