Wednesday, October 24, 2007

THIS is my life.

*
I know nobody cares about this stuff. But oh my gosh, this is my life! If the power isn't going out the pipes are clogged or .... the furnace pilot won't stay lit. Yes, I said pilot. This - this is my furnace. Isn't it pretty? Yeah, I love it too. Not so much. Let me make one thing clear, I rent. I do not own this lovely piece of machinery. No, I pay rent to light the pilot on this converted oil burning furnace that was put in the house when it was built in the 50's. It really is that old.



There was a heating guy here a week ago because as it started to get chilly in here, I discovered that unlike last year when I just had to re-light the pilot once or twice a day, this year it simply wouldn't stay on once I let up on that red button no matter how long I held it down. I have lit the pilot on this thing so many times I could do it with my eyes closed so I know what I'm doing. It's not me, honest.



This is where the red button is, and behind that rusty metal panel is where the actual flame belches like an angry dragon once it is lit.




These are various thermocouples that have been replaced in the past, one of which was replaced last week as well. The furnace guy told me this furnace is oh - 30 years past it's useful life. He said if he could have found a crack in - well - something I can't remember - he could have told my landlord the unit had to be replaced. But there was no crack, technically nothing dangerous. But again this week, it won't work.



I have to take more time off work which everyone knows is just not my favorite thing to do, uh huh, and come home at noon so I will be here when that van pulls into my driveway and spend my afternoon reading blogs or something while the guy works on the furnace. Ugh, particularly painful. And when the guy is done, I am hoping that this time, oh please please please I will have a brand spanking new furnace and I will sign the invoice without having to pay anything at all.


Who wants to send me good vibes and thoughts or prayers - that tomorrow I can open that closet door and take a picture of a bright and shiny new appliance???


I mean, think about it. If the furnace gets replaced at least it will be one less thing like this I will feel compelled to write about! Send me good thoughts - it's for your own good.


Really.
*

8 comments:

  1. Oh Bettejo, it really sounds like your furnace needs to be condemned to the scrap heap!! The Landlord is throwing good money at rubbish by the sound of it and in the meantime you have to put up with a lump of machinery that doesn't deliver! Well, I hope the guy who's coming to fix it finds a crack, even just the tiniest of cracks so you can have a new furnace!! And some warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't no way I'd be lighting that thing lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get it all sorted before winter! It would be difficult to make all that pretty jewelry with cold hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always sending you good thoughts.... :)

    Too bad that thing isn't cracked...urgh....

    My old landlord was a slum lord, I swear. The cracks in the foundation were horrible... He would just tile over it...only to have the tile crack again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bette Jo,
    Be careful of carbon monoxide poisoning too. My mother-in-law told me about a family that just had their old gas furnace checked.They went to bed and never woke up because of the
    carbon monoxide gas that was released from their faulty furnace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The winters aren't as severe in Oz as you get over there so I hope it is all fixed before things get too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there any way to "accidentally" make a crack in it so it *has* to be replaced? I have a nice pipe wrench you can borrow ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh sorry BetteJo, Id read these furnace posts out of order, didnt realize that its TIME your out, not so much money....loosing time is even worse than loosing money to be sure. Still, Im not surprised 'the man' isnt going to replace the whole unit - tightwads! Hope it lights without hassle now.

    ReplyDelete