Tuesday, February 5, 2008

1967

In 1967 I was 8 years old. Here in Chicagoland, we had a wonderful blizzard and ice storm in January of that year. I say wonderful because I was 8 years old! I mean really, what more do you need to know? Can you imagine the delight in getting somewhere near 2 feet of snow over the course of 2 days? Magical!

Of course I did not have to drive in it, all I had to do was play in it. What a terrible job that was!

We have had more snow this year than in recent years, or so it seems to me. Never let my
memory get in the way of the facts. Now we are waiting for more. The last time I looked outside it was raining, but it is supposed to turn to snow and do the worst damage between midnight and 7:00 a.m. Oooh, I can hardly wait! NOT. Not anywhere near '67, but north of the city they are forecasting possibly 8 to 12 inches by morning. Yikes!

I wanted to post some pictures of the snow but seeing as it's being rained on right now it wouldn't be very impressive. So instead I searched and found a few pictures from 1967 when snow meant
staying home from school and endless hours in rubber boots, coats, and mittens with scarves over our faces. They aren't my pictures, but they are from that snowstorm from so long ago that some of us still have fond memories of. Only a few, but you'll get the idea.

Yes, pictures were still black and white back then. And so was the TV! Wanna make something of it?

Buried cars in Chicago, Lake Shore Drive and Foster Avenue.

People dug their cars out and started to get around, but mostly still on foot. One of my favorite memories of that snowstorm was once we went back to school there were fabulously high snow hills all along every street and on either side of every driveway. I have no idea whether the sidewalks were shoveled because we kids didn't take that route anyway. We climbed to the top of the snow hills and walked up there - sometimes falling through, rolling off, or stepping down onto driveways and scampering back up in the other side. I don't recall ever being tired or out of breath - or even very cold for that matter. It was a terrific time to be 8 years old!


10 comments:

  1. OHhh wait til dd see's these pics - she will be amazed at the amount of snow you had!!
    So did you get snow last night??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are just beautiful!

    Here in OK, we don't usually get big snowfalls like that. The few times we do, however, get any more than a 'dusting' and look out! The state seems to come to a stand still!!!

    Nice memories, BetteJo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man I love huge snows like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as I don't have to shovel it ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...In 1967 I wasn't even a thought.

    Oh, I love not feeling old for even a second!!! I did come around the following year, tho.

    1968 was a GREAT YEAR!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, apparently lots of people have been born after I was. Lots and lots ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMAO...sorry I SO couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's okay, at least you're not young enough to be my kid!

    ...and nobody else needs to volunteer if they are! :) Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy when you say 67 in Chicago, I think most people will come up with the word snow storm, eh? I loved seeing those pictures! How cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was fabulous for us kids - don't know how my parents felt about it.

    ReplyDelete