Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mm-m-m... cranberry juice...


I asked for a couple of days off work, this coming Monday and Tuesday, so how do you think I’m starting my 4 day weekend? Guzzling cranberry juice and experiencing kidney pain. Gah!


About 10 years ago I had a kidney stone. About a year later – I had another one. Apparently I am not able to pass a kidney stone myself – they had to be ‘retrieved’. The second one couldn’t even be removed on the first try, I had to have a stent put in between my kidney and my bladder and got to pee blood through a strainer for a month before that one would come out. Yay me!


Last night sitting on the couch I started to have pain in the area of my right kidney. That’s the famous stone producing kidney. Lots of pain. I thought I might have to go to the hospital but seeing as all they do is pump fluids and pain meds into you, I figured I would last as long as I could first.

Finally I took 6 extra strength Tylenols and went to bed and rocked myself to sleep. This morning (who am I kidding – it was noon) the pain was more like an ache. I showered and put makeup on thinking that if I did have to go to the hospital I would at least look presentable. But instead of the E.R. I ran to the store and got cranberry juice and Ibuprophen.


So now while some of you nice ladies out there are winging your way to BlogHer – I am at home, in pain, on my 2nd 16 oz glass of cranberry juice. I’m sure I’ll be fine, and I doubt many of you will be reading my blog while you’re gone. But if you do stop by – just think about me, okay? Have a drink and maybe float a toast out there for me, will ya?


I’m really grateful I hadn’t planned on going cause this would have made it a real drag!


12 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! I've never had one, but when I was doing clinical for my EMT-I, I saw first hand what people go through when they have those nasty things.

    I hope you feel better soon.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope you're feeling better now. Kidney stones are so painful - it's the closest men will come to feeling what giving birth is like. Hope you gave birth to that @#*@ stone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh That hurts!! Been there done that!! Its like trying to pass a 25 pound turkey when you pee, OUCH!!!!

    Did you know that kidney stones are mainly made of salt? You should drink more water every day ,it actually helps them dissolve a little at a time but and if your a good girl and drink lots , they may not come back ((I swear to God its been years and years for me))
    And stay away from Calcium tablets they will make it worst !
    I hope you feel better soon.
    You poor thing!!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if it's a kidney stone this time because it doesn't seem to be moving out of my kidney. And 32 ounces of cranberry juice along with ibuprophen seems to be helping.

    I'm a TERRIBLE water drinker. I know it's good for me, I know my kidney stone past, I just find water so freaking boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cringing over here - only had one once - hope thats it for me - although I do now have a craving for cranberry juice (costs more than gas down here in Oz - no kidding!)
    Anyhow, will keep some fingers crossed that this attack is over very soon for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I do hope you are feeling better soon.

    I find water boring to drink so I add a little sugar free fruit squash just to give it some taste.. now I drink several litres a day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your poor thing ... how are you now ? Im the same with water , its juts awful to drink . I add lime juice cordial , helps a bit .
    Hope youre feeling better soon Bettejo ...
    Shelagh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pain easing thoughts are headed your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hope you're doing okay, lady! if you'd come to blogher in pain, you could've hung out with me the first night - i had food poisoning. :( fortunately i got better after sleeping through most of the first sessions, and was able to recover well enough to enjoy the rest of the weekend. but still? a lousy start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Food poisoning is bad enough but away from home? Oh that totally sucks! Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my mom has just had another bout with her kidneys followed by a lot of poking ad prodding my doctors. Hope you are feeling better soon. Mix your water with some cranberry juice to add a little flavor. That's how I became a water drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH....and to add, like you need more adding!!??...they make cranberry juice concentrated in little supplements, too. Case you ever get sick of sucking down the juice!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete