Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Simply fabulous!


My daughter emailed me at work today - "there are men on our roof."

Always a minimalist.

"Are they looking or are they fixing?"

"Fixing. Before the rain. That's what the man said who came to the door."


Okay great! Happy! It's cloudy and looks like it might rain tonight, I didn't want to be em
ptying the sled in the attic again. And once the roof is sealed, we can get the drywall replaced and make sure the mold is gone and all will be well with the world again.

Or .. maybe not.




This doesn't instill a lot of confidence in someone, does it? I mean, I am willing to give the patch the benefit of the doubt. But I must admit, I am skeptical.



Right on queue my landlady called, said the roofer had told her he would try to get out this week and I told her that he had been out today. She was happy about that but did not seem as appreciative when I reminded her that she needs to make sure that whoever comes out to replace the drywall needs to know there is mold involved. And we don't know what kind it is - it does have the potential to be dangerous. She also wasn't incredibly upbeat when I mentioned that my daughter has not been able to sleep in her room since the mold was found, even though I emptied and cleaned the closet as best I could, AND installed an air conditioner in that room.

Yes Landlady, even though you didn't say thank you, you're welcome. Because I'm sure you really do appreciate the cleaning and the air conditioner and the crawling around in the attic emptying the sled and the roasting pan. I know you were probably quite pleased that I did not call you over and over even though the leak and the mold were discovered over a week ago. I didn't hound you about it even though my daughter has been sleeping on the couch for a week and all of her belongings in her bedroom smell like mold.

You are SO welcome. And you can count on me to make sure that patch takes care of the leak!




5 comments:

  1. Well, I am glad they are finally doing something about it. Mold is nasty and I hope they can remove it as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A thank you would be nice, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't exactlu look promising, does it? Sort of half-way done?

    I hope it does work though. Your poor daughter. I hate when my stuff is out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the advice an older parent gave me about childhood phases which also works in this case, "This too shall pass". I hope it passes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know why my landlady had it done like that. She isn't putting any money into this house - and when it's beat to hell - she will sell the property. This is a double lot in very desirable area and she will get a pretty penny just for the land.

    Still - I will be checking that attic!

    ReplyDelete