Thursday, February 26, 2009

You like me, you really like me!

In other news - I had my first review yesterday in my new position at work which is actually a year old and not so new anymore. But it was my first review done by this manager and I had no idea what to expect. It was actually pretty good, I was satisfied and pleased but what I didn't expect was to be praised like this "BJ you're funny. Hilarious really." He went on to tell me that my comments during conference calls and such are good for morale basically, and help keep things light and bring us together as a team. We are all remote and all over the country - most of us have never met each other in person so it can be a little awkward sometimes feeling like a close group or team.

And evidentally I am much funnier on conference calls than I am on this blog! But this brings up a memory from days gone by and a comment to a person who had my confidence so low at one time I could only look up at him. I guess that was the plan. He told me - you have no sense of humor. He didn't say it once, he said it a lot. And since humor was important to him he might as well have been telling me I wasn't a person. Oh right, the comment . . .

YOU WERE WRONG.

Now isn't THAT funny??? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!
I don't wish anything bad for him in his life. For the most part he had a big heart. But I just hope that he will or has realized how much words can hurt and sarcasm can be used as weapon. Those things can do real damage.

4 comments:

  1. Lots of "very good" ticks from me too!!

    Yes I agree words hurt lots - especially when they start as compliments and then BUT....

    I think you have a wonderful SOH and I am grateful to have met you through this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, anyone who likes and posts Maxine is right up my funny alley.
    I had a person who had commented that I was not a good supervisor. When I asked her for a reason for her comment, she said "Well, if you don't know, I can't tell you"
    Wasn't that the most helpful reply?
    Words do hurt more than people know.
    Humor is the best! One of the reasons I follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have a wonderful sense of humor. Your Maxine posts are just the ticket for Monday mornings and your humorous posts the rest of the time are delightful. That's why I read every post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how different you can be in the company of certain people. Some people just don't bring out the best in someone!

    ReplyDelete