Sunday, September 12, 2010

Thank God for screw guns and duct tape!

*
Cuz yeah I'm positive God created those things. They are too wondrous to have been created by man. What am I doing? Fixing my vacuum cleaner, what else? It wasn't picking up very well so I flipped it over (unplugged), removed the bottom and started trying to figure it out.

Turns out it's missing a piece that meets the slider thing that makes the height go up and down. So it's been stuck on "bare floor" or whatever it says and the spinner thing just can't spin like that on carpet. Argh-h-h-h!

I rigged it with some duct tape and it's working better but I'm going to be in the market for a new one soon. I need one that's good with pet hair, any recommendations? And please do not torture me with things I cannot afford like Dysons and Rainbows. Really, be kind.

I've always used an upright and never quite 'got' the canister vacuums. Pros and cons?
*

6 comments:

  1. My last high dollar Bissell died recently, so I bought the cheapest upright, bagless at Walmart, which was an el cheapo Bissell. I love the new one. It was only like $45. And you know I have pet hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree with Mahala, cheaper has seemed to work well for me. I have a bottom of the line Eurika (OK spelling is not my best subject, but you get what I mean.) but it works great. Picks up everything and is easy to operate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never bought the expensive ones either. I like the hepa filter ones which trap all the pet hair and dander. Pretty gross though when it comes to emptying time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ended up w/ my parent's mountain house vacuum that came w/ the condo when they bought it a year ago. Turns out they like this thing called 'Meile' or some such spelling...They didn't want the one @ the condo, so they told us to take it when we left -- just so happened our Hoover Cyclonic (which I don't recommend -- waaay too messy to empty) had JUST died.

    So off we go w/ this Hoover Self-propelled "Wind Tunnel" w/ HEPA filter-thing, that I knew nothing about. I LOVE IT!! I'm w/ BeadingGem -- I LOVE the filter, & it picks up everything...careful w/ your cat...

    Don't know what the price is, though...I suspect it's higher than the Walmarts, but nowhere near Rainbow or Dyson.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got nothin' here, but our old vacuum's about to die, so I'm watching to see what people come up with!

    ReplyDelete