Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Owning it.

.
I haven't been reading and commenting on a lot of blogs lately, and there are many blogs that I subscribe to that I rarely if ever comment on at all.  One of those is Parisienne Farmgirl.  Angela writes about home, gardening, cooking, design, all with a french vibe.  She has small children, loves her chicken coop (well - she will when she gets her new one put together) and she just launched a digital magazine.  She is unabashedly Christian, a conservative and totally pro-life.  Sometimes (gasp) she writes about politics.  The night before the election (don't even try to ask which one) she put up a post with some fun red lipsticks and titled it "Go Red!"  And for that, she woke up the next day to vile, hate filled comments about how she'd change her views if one of her kids were raped, and worse.
Why?

Angela didn't deserve those comments or the hate.  Why has it come to this?  In her blog post after the election and in response to those comments she said - she has something to lose by putting her views out there.  Her blog is part of her business for goodness sakes.  I admire that she stands up and stands behind her beliefs regardless of what it could cost her.

Again, why?  Why has it come to this?

It has become acceptable in our country to be completely INtolerant of Christians, conservatives, and OMG - people who are pro-life.  The world has turned upside down, what once would have been considered a virtue is now reviled.  And on the internet the facelessness of it all makes it so easy that it encourages the spewing of vitriol at others they disagree with by people who would never be that way face to face.  And the attacks are so personal!

I am a conservative.  Some might say - rabidly so.  I generally stay away from politics here because I did not want to offend anyone.  I even created an alter-ego and started a blog dedicated to nothing but politics called Disinformation you Deserve.  I have Twitter accounts in my own name, and as "Janie Lynn". We are the same people.

This blog will not turn into a political blog.  But if people like Angela who has something to lose by voicing her beliefs is willing to do so, I need to be willing to be true to myself the same way.

I'm owning it.


6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness.
    I don't even know what to say except thank you so much. I can't tell you how much this means to me. I've still got people calling me hateful because I express my opinion... because I thought our President was undeserving of the Nobel Peace Prize?... Or because of a self admitted snarky post I did about the First Lady and the royal wedding? ... If people can't see the difference between talking about HARM coming to my daughters and some silly post I throw up when I find myself totally irritated with this administration... well, then... I give up!
    There is a BIG difference!
    I can't tell you how awesome it was to read this post. I am sorry I didn't find it earlier! God bless you. You're a brave gal! Thank you again!
    Love, Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you. You inspired me to - like I said, own it. I admire that you have always done so!

      Delete
  2. Here in the UK we had a lot of coverage of the election and lots of stories floated around, some true and some not true I'm sure.

    But one i found quite peculiar was the belief that if a girl is raped her body shuts down so she doesn't get pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was a bad comment, not sure who that guy who had been talking to! He should have gotten out of the race but he refused. Ugh.

      Delete
  3. Now I am not a conservative for several reasons but I have always and will always believe that everyone has the right to their own beliefs without being attacked for them. I think that people are forgetting that the pendulum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I wish we could discuss - but if not - at least don't cross the line when it comes to personal attacks. It's just so unnecessary!

      Delete