Tuesday, June 10, 2014

No it's not Monday, and my name is not Maxine.


I've been stalling.

Mid-April I had gastric-bypass surgery.  The lap band was removed, my stomach made smaller and my intestines rearranged. Kind of major. But in some ways it was easier than the lap band.  Still, since I haven't been here except on Mondays for quite a while, I didn't really want to come back with well - this post.  But
right now - it IS what's happening in my life.

When you go in for this type of surgery, there are many things to consider.  It's not reversible like having an appliance put in that can be removed.  This is forever, so you'd better want it.  And I did, I do.

But.

It's harder than I thought.  Not the actual physical part, of course not, this is ME we're talking about. Intellectually - oh I got this.  I have it handled.

Emotionally?  Hmmm.  Another story.

When someone is an emotional eater and uses food for comfort and reward, and that person is medicated for depression to start with, what is going to happen when you take that comfort and reward away?

Yeah.  So I'm not horribly pull-the-covers-over-my-head depressed.  But I am sad.  And that makes me feel a bit pathetic since I know how lucky I am to have been able to have the surgery at all.  Many don't have that option.  Like - yeah feel sorry for me because I miss cake.  Ugh.

So yeah, I might be writing about this journey a bit.

If you'll have me.


3 comments:

  1. It is so good to hear from you. I was missing your posts though your Maxine assured me that you were still about. And please write about your journey. This is your blog and those of us that have gotten to know you thru this blog love to hear about what is happening in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaiha, I'm glad you're still here! :)

      Delete
  2. I think you are incredibly brave and I hope that sharing your difficulties here might help - just a little :)

    Replace cake with more blogging!

    ReplyDelete