Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Spa Day!!


Dani and I went to a spa today. Uh huh, we did! Not something I have ever done before, no manicures or pedicures in my past, must less a "day spa" experience.


It was a bit like the Beverly Hillbillies walking into a nice restaurant and exclaiming "whar are the vittles???!!" Everyone was very nice and no one made me feel out of place or unwelcome, it was just a new and foreign environment for me. Disclaimer: I am speaking for myself. My daughter may have felt perfectly comfortable and in no way do I assume she felt as much like a cave dweller as I did.


Before we left the house I was counting money on the couch because I needed to make sure we had enough cash on hand (and in the right denominations) to tip the various people we would need to. I didn't know! Dani contacted one of her friends who does this kind of thing and knew the ins and outs but I really think some kind of spa ettiquette booklet would have been helpful.


We had manicures - very nice, pedicures - fabulous, and haircuts - wonderful! The gal who did my nails (hands and feet) had to laugh when I lifted my hand out of the little dish my fingers were soaking in and said "hey! There are rocks in here!" Okay, they were smoooooth stones, but I was surprised. Can you say HICK much?


Dani's fingernails were done before mine so when I joined her in the room where we had our pedicures, she was already luxuriating in the comfy chair with 2 remote controls, one for position and one for heat and massage. Her feet were in the hot bubbly water and she looked quite relaxed and happy. I could see why!


It wasn't nearly as weird as I thought it would be having some stranger holding my foot in her hands, rubbing my feet and legs with lotion and some kind of scrub, and sanding my heels down to nothing! I was surprised at how soothing it was to have somebody scraping crud from under my toenails.


The haircuts were good, much different than the $12.00 specials I'm used to. I liked having someone cut my hair who obviously knew what she was doing without me directing her every move. She had ideas of her own! Amazing!


In the end most of the tips were actually given to the receptionist who took each one and put it in a tiny brown envelope marked with To: and From: on it so they would be distributed to the appropriate people like mini gifts. We were given little goody bags with coupons and samples on our way out. It was nice.


It was a lovely way to spend an afternoon with my daughter for sure. Will I go back? I wouldn't mind, but I don't know if I'll be willing to part with the bucks to do it. Or able. We will see. Thank you Dani for sharing your gift certificate with me, and thank you Dan - for giving her such a sweet and thoughtful gift! Oh, I didn't mention that part, did I? Yeah, Dani came up for a visit so her fiance' found a spa up here and gave her a gift certificate. Nice, huh? Very nice indeed!

4 comments:

  1. I've never ever been. My spa is my feet in a bowl of warm water with the remote. It'll have to do!

    :) I'm glad you had a good day with Dani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day with your daughter. Your pinkies and toes look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely, I'd particularly enjoy the massage :)

    ReplyDelete