Thursday, July 21, 2011

Could have been a better week.

.

There are many things that happen in life that aren't fair.  And while I always wanted everything to be fair - I learned very early that not everything is.  I can't say what happened this week wasn't fair, because I don't know why it happened, but I will say it was really quite stupid.


My office roommate who makes me crazy half the time was let go on Monday.  She has worked for the company for 26 years and is incredibly talented.  She spoils her child to a point that I can barely restrain my comments sometimes.  She is self centered and a bit obsessive compulsive and a germaphobe.  But she is also very sweet and sensitive and generous.  I will miss her.


It was a huge shock when they let her go.  She was not one you would have pointed to and said - oh yeah, I can see why they would choose her.  And what the company does not seem to understand is that in whatever cost saving measure they were implementing - they just let a fantastic amount of knowledge, talent, and information walk out that door without a key card to get back in.  Seems to be a trend too - people who have worked there for many years - being let go.  Maybe they make too much money.  Maybe it is ageist.  But beyond the whys - it just isn't good business.


There were many things my office roommate was very good at, and one was making sure she had skills and certifications for different areas of the business.  By the time she left today - she had heard from at least 3 competitors looking to snatch her up.  Our company's short sightedness will be someone elses gain.


Stupid, stupid corporate decisions.  When will they ever learn that people are not chess pieces or numbers on a spreadsheet?  And really, not everyone is expendable.  


.

2 comments:

  1. It's sad that many corporations really can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to the bottom line. Sad to say it happens everywhere. No one is safe anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes companies make bad decisions for weird reasons. Hopefully she got a good package and will get picked up by a competitor soon.

    ReplyDelete