Monday, February 7, 2022

Mourning the dove

A dove died on my deck overnight and my camera did not catch it. One video shows a raccoon rummaging around, and another video an hour later shows 2 uninjured doves sitting on the railing,
feathers scattered all over the place and some blood in the snow on the deck. The dove that was attacked was nowhere to be found, ostensibly taken by a predator as a meal.

I've thought about this - birds and squirrels, possums and raccoons have started to think of my back deck as a safe place where there is bird seed and peanuts and sunflower seeds. There is always fresh water, and it's usually not frozen. But did something notice my deck and stake it out to hunt their breakfast?

It's just a dove, right? Circle of life and all that? Yeah. Not feeling it.

I cleaned up what I could, but there is still some blood frozen into the snow, and some random feathers that I missed. Other birds are still coming to eat, and squirrels as well. But there was a single dove eating some seed later in the morning, all alone. Mourning doves do not necessarily mate for life, but it is believed they are aware of the loss of their mate if it happens, and mourn that loss. 

Ugh. Makes me rethink feeding birds and wildlife. It was inevitable that something like this would happen at some point, but it is a bad feeling. 



No comments:

Post a Comment