Friday, May 13, 2011

And then, there’s Riley~

.
He's called the crabby old man cat for a reason.  According to the vet Riley is around 17 years old.  Pretty old for a kitty.  He is the only boy out of 4 cats, yet he has a stuffed lamb as a girlfriend.  Don't ask.
 
He's never been one for cuddling, or much of a lap cat.  He has always been more of the stereotypical ‘aloof’ cat, content to ignore the humans in the room unless they can be useful to him.
 
Now, as he's gotten older, he has become my shadow.  When I am sitting, he is sitting next to me, sometimes on me which is unheard of with him.  Used to be he would nip when he decided he was done being petted, now he will sit and purr and keep asking for more with his eyes - forever.


Makes me crazy that this crabby old man shed-machine is on me, all. the. time.  But on the other hand .. how soon will I be wishing he was still here to 'bother' me some more?  So I pet him and baby him and let him sit on me, and laugh when he sits on the back of the couch and head butts my head. 



I mean really, crabby old man cats don't last forever, y'know?


.

6 comments:

  1. Indeed, make the most of him while you can - lovely kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, nice to give in to the crabby when you think of the alternative. What is a little shedding anyway?

    They sure can petronize you at times. Mine will sit on the floor for the full hour while I wind down and watch a show, wanting to go to bed. He can just go ahead rather than fall asleep waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet. Sounds like he has decided to let you in after all this time so you might as well enjoy it while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandfather also had an old ginger cat who wouldn't cozy up with humans until he was very old. You're right, enjoy each other's company while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it wonderful how the older animals become lovier as they get older. My Shiba is that way. He has always been aloof but now that he is 10 it's like he trying to collect all the loves he can for later.

    ReplyDelete