Monday, August 24, 2009

Sweating at City Hall

Today I went to a town hall meeting and I am SO freaking proud of myself! See, I'm not a joiner. I don't DO this kind of thing. This town hall was held by Illinois Congressman Mark Kirk.


I didn’t see any protestors outside (although they were there when I left) when I got there about an hour ahead of time, because they were already inside the building sitting in every available seat! I found a place to wedge myself (standing) and was very quickly blocked into the spot between 2 very rude move-on.org guys. THAT wasn’t fun.


When they announced there were so many people they were breaking it up into 2 separate meetings – I made my way back out into the hallway after standing squashed between hot and sweaty people for a full hour (BEFORE the meeting even started!) where I may or may not have been experiencing hot flashes anyway.


Below is the transgendered woman who was dressed better than me, who asked if Congressman Kirk’s proposed healthcare plan would cover gender reassignment surgery. Honestly I did not even hear the answer but – REALLY? I mean, I WAS out in the hallway. But – um . . . REALLY???



I’m glad I went, I learned it’s not so hard to be part of the process. I also learned that cops can’t seem to keep their eyes off beautiful female reporters when they keep striding past them. Seriously, they could have been used as decoys if someone had wanted to get by those officers!


Just reporting what I witnessed. Just the facts Ma’am.


**Adding - I forgot to mention how many elderly men and women were left standing today in that crowded and hot room while many a young person was seated quite comfortably, thank you very much! I was appalled.



3 comments:

  1. You make me proud. I try to stay involved with things in my community, but it is hard. Stay a part of the process, it is so worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were willing to attend. Sen Kerry is having such a meeting around here soon. I too am not a joiner in meetings like that.Glad you are and obviously lots of others are too.

    ReplyDelete