Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Everything is Just a Little Too Connected For my Liking

So I did a Google search for a left-handed potato peeler. Okay maybe that wasn't it, but let's stipulate - it was a product. Not going to specify because this happens. All. The. Time. With. EVERYTHING. Still, a day later I got an email from Amazon giving me links to several left-handed peelers. 


Then I'm on Instagram a day after that and what do I see? Ads for, you guessed it, left-handed potato peelers! 

Is there anything we do online that isn't connected to everything else? Is our data mined by everyone for everything? It gets a bit creepy sometimes. Maybe I need to try a browser like Duck Duck Go and search for something obscure to see if the same thing happens. I'm beginning to think there is no way to get away from this crap.

So I am doing a test. I just did a search on Duck Duck Go. I am not even going to type the words here, of what I searched for. The only place I typed the words was in that browser. I will paste a pic because I don't think words can be mined from an image. But what do I know? (I only work in I.T.!)

If I don't get any emails or spontaneous ads for things related to this Duck Duck Go search, I may have to switch. Like most people, I don't have anything to hide - but it feels - icky - for lack of a better word, for the Internet to know everything I do online.

And for that matter, I think since I am working from home, I will unplug my pet-cam. Who knows who could be hacked into that?? This world just keeps getting weirder and weirder, I swear.

Did I just age myself - profoundly - by doing the search I did? Sigh-h-h...

No comments:

Post a Comment