Thursday, July 22, 2021

I'm Not The Only One.

There is a widget on my left sidebar showing a list of blogs I used to follow and read on a regular basis. The abandonment of my blog coincides loosely with the shutting down of Google Reader. Damn you, big tech! I clicked through a lot of those links recently and found at least half (if not more) are either abandoned like mine, completely gone, or turned into more of a business model - good for those people! But that was never for me.

The ones that surprise me the most are the blogs that have been entirely deleted. I mean - people wrote things, memorialized a moment in time, if you will. Several moments in time. And then for whatever reason were comfortable with wiping everything out. Not sure I could do that, regardless of whether or not anyone ever reads a thing I write, ever again. Seems almost like deleting a piece of your past, somehow.

At some point I will need to update that list, but if I'm honest - I don't read blogs anymore. Instagram caught my eye and people liked looking at pics of my cats (hey, something for everyone!) and blogs, candidly, started to take up too much time. So maybe I will just remove the ones that aren't current anymore, me thinks it will be a very short list by the time I am done.

We don't read as much as we used to and it's sad, our attention spans have gotten too short. Not sure what that means going forward but I'm not giving up cursive writing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment