Saturday, August 16, 2008

How many good byes?

This week has been a lot of getting ready for Dani to leave for school again. This will be her last semester at school, and I wonder whether or not her leaving this time will be permanent. She is renting a house this time, with another girl, no more dorm-life. Here at home she is 5 hours away from her boyfriend, at school - only an hour and a half.

SHE IS TAKING HER BED THIS TIME PEOPLE!

Besides filling the house with boxes and littering the floor with odds and ends - we shopped for cleaning supplies and some kitchen utensils, a few tools, the things she will need in a house as opposed to a dorm room.

But um .. her
house is almost as big as mine, and she has no furniture. Her bed, a side table, things like that do not fill a house. Her roommate will be bringing a few things but more is needed. So we did what any good mother/daughter team with no resources does - we went shopping at the curb, giggling and enjoying the heck out of it.

I know I've done it myself, had a piece of furniture that has seen better days but was still usable that I didn't know what to do with when I was ready to replace it. So I have put things out at the curb hoping someone would come by and snatch it up before the garbage collectors did. And it was usually gone before those trucks came rumbling by the next morning.

We managed to find a kitchen table with 4 chairs, an end table a
nd a recliner. The table and chairs need some cleaning but are definitely in college student shape and the recliner is in surprisingly good repair and has no suspicious odors which was a big prerequisite for even making it into the car.

She leaves tomor
row.

I told her that when she graduates from school it would be a really good idea to move home for a few years to save money. That way she won't get stuck renting and can get some money saved, etc. Don't think she's buying it.

I am very proud of her growing up and being so independent. She's smart, has a good head on her shoulders and I'm sure she'll do fine.

But Mom just might miss her. Some.



5 comments:

  1. Heck, I've seen stuff on the curb in better shape than what I had at home! A very resourceful mother and daughter team. I'm sure she'll always visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually a lot of fun, I was surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine has been talking about getting an apartment with one of her friends soon.

    *hugs* from one mom to another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, yet another upheaval! My 2 daughters will be back off to uni in just over a months time and I know just how difficult it can be..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Bettejo this brought a tear to my eye . My daughter is only fourteen but that means in four years she might be off to uni for the first time , the first of the goodbyes ....
    xxx

    ReplyDelete