Monday, August 6, 2012

Do cats have expiration dates?

.

So there is Riley, crabby ol' man cat with an overactive thyroid and perpetual mats.  Then there is Jake, sweetest little girl kitty ever, with an overactive thyroid and now insulin dependent diabetes.  In order of age next is Norah, my full figured girl.  Besides her weight there have never been any issues. Last night (okay this morning) my son woke me up at 2:30 am because Norah was splayed out in front of the bathroom door on her belly, and couldn't get up.  Every time she tried to put her legs under her they just slid right out again.  I put my hand underneath her and supported her and she was able to walk a little, but her legs were not holding her up well.  I picked her up and put her on my bed (normally she goes up the stairs I have there for her) and there she stayed.  I brought her food and she ate, water, she didn't drink.  Took her to the litter box once but she didn't go.

When I think about it, she hasn't been moving around much lately, not coming when called to eat, not climbing up on the couch to nap, etc.  But I have been worried about Jakie with her recent weight loss and diabetes diagnosis so I thought Norah might have a little stomach upset and dismissed it.  A good vomit (hairball) usually takes care of that.

Last in line is Abby, the evil kitty who wants to eat my face.  Yours too.  So far, so good with her which is really good news because she is next to impossible to handle.  Still, with all the medical issues lately I guess I should keep an eye on her too!

I take Norah to the vet this afternoon unless there is a cancellation sooner.  She's not in pain, doesn't seem anxious or unhappy even.  So what it could be is a mystery to me.  I guess we will see.  Stay tuned.

.

5 comments:

  1. Our fur babies keep us running and broke for sure. I have to take my Zoey back to the vet on Sat for another check. She is still limping and we can't find a reason for it. Maybe she is just smart and likes the attention. Who knows? Hope your Norah is not dealing with anything serious. I will keep my fingers crossed for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What IS it with these gimpy animals?? Hope Zoey is well too.

      Delete
  2. She seems okay now, just not moving around the house much. But at least she can walk today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep saying - I'm doing more for these cats than I did for my kids! On the other hand, ear infections and 1 tonsilectomy was the extent of their childhood illnesses.

    ReplyDelete