Thursday, August 9, 2012

I'm a big girl now!

.
Every single day at work I am reminded that I am 53 years old.  And while I am not grateful for the reminder every single time, many times it is a wonderful thing!  Frequently I am shaking my head at the naivete of the younger people surrounding me, the ignorance of life and the world around us.  Funny too, I am not ever the most worldly or traveled person in the room.  Never.  But oh just to exist on the planet for 53 years .. the knowledge that comes with that is startling when compared with many young adults of today.  And while I wouldn't mind looking like I did at 20, 30, even 40, I wouldn't want to go back.  It's been said that as we age and women in particular approach a certain age *ahem* they can be the happiest they have ever been.  There is something to that I think.  But when I was younger, you might not have been able to convince me of that.  Ah .. experience is a wonderful teacher.  I hope when you are here, you will be able to embrace it as well!

.

5 comments:

  1. I'm past that age wize, but not happy wise. I haven't reached that point for me yet. But I sure hope it comes soon. I am with you on the naivete of the younger folks. I know they think they know everything, but there is just so much more out there for them to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess for me I've reached the point where I am no longer struggling, bought my house, and have done some things so outside my comfort zone that I am feeling really good about myself. I hope you have the opportunity to get there too, Tonya.

      Delete
  2. Maybe for me it's because I have finally gotten beyond the fears that have driven my decision making for so long. I feel so much less stress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, 53 was a great year for me. Where did that time go? I hit 61 this year and it's still hard to say it out loud. Scary! and yet, I'm so much wiser. Like you, I needed to blog about it, esp. after seeing Pfizer's booth at BlogHer....

    http://middle-aged-diva.blogspot.com/2012/08/getting-older-not-old.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that many women don't lie about their ages anymore, in my Mom's day it was practically blasphemy to NOT lie about their age! I do feel so much wiser and oh my gosh I am glad I am no longer that overly-emotional young lady I used to be.

      Delete