Thursday, December 9, 2021

Embracing aging. Or not.

Do I embrace aging? Oh HELL NO .. and .. YES! I mean - I am glad to be here to age and not taking a dirt nap some place. But since Covid and working from home began, I don't look in the mirror as often or as closely as I used to because I don't put makeup on all the time. So when I do - sometimes it's a little shocking.

Posting pictures of myself has never been a thing. If you search this blog going back years - you will find very few photos of me. Never liked selfies and certainly didn't post them here if I did take them. Generally speaking any selfies I do take usually include my granddaughter. Making memories, even though the pics themselves make me cringe a bit. But she doesn't care if I have lines on my face or an uneven skin tone. She loves me just the way I am.

However, by the time my mom was my age (she is gone now so I can post this) she had 2 facelifts, a nose job, and an implant put in her chin. My mom was fairly vain, and had married a man who was 12 years her junior. No doubt that factored into it. But also? We just don't have nice, elastic skin. So I almost feel like she was just trying to even the score with the first facelift, so she was attempting to look like what her contemporaries did. She hated her nose so had that changed, and had a prominent overbite - hence the implant in her chin to offset the overbite. The second facelift was keeping young for her husband. And her own vanity.

Just my opinion, of course.

Would I do all that? No. My nose is my nose and braces took care of my overbite. But would I get one facelift - take care of the eyes and neck as well? You betcha. Because of weight gain and loss over the years my skin is much looser than I would like. It shows on my face. 

I know, fellas. This is making you want to line up for a date again .. 

So I am trying to accept my face, as is. In this pic - I am still tired, still have circles under my eyes and a crooked smile. But I do have makeup on and oh my gosh - EYEBROWS! 

People just don't understand how important eyebrows are. Just sayin'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment