Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cat tip #1, 2011

.
I should be in bed, yes early, but I'm not.  I am not doing anything productive right now when I could be so I thought I would give you your first cat tip of the year.  I know you were waiting.  


So, you know when you look at your cat and your cat looks back and neither one of you is blinking?  Yeah, you know.  If you want to show your dominance which the cat knows you have anyway because you feed them, stare right at them.  The cat will eventually blink and wow!  You won!  


But more satisfying to me, especially with a cat you don't know, is being the first to blink.  If when you are making eye contact with a cat and you do one of those slow lazy blinks that cats do (or my old friend Norine used to do when she was drunk)  - their eyes will usually narrow a bit, if not go into a full blink themselves.  You have just told them you are not a threat to them.  You are saying "Dude!  Get over yourself, I wouldn't mind being friends.  Or at least I don't want to fight with you Dude, okay?"


Those are the exact words.  And then - you will have taken your first step toward being cool with that cat.  Try it.  Tell me if those aren't the exact words the moment evokes.  


And if you do really good, maybe they'll stick their tongue out at you which means they are saying "I love you so much I want to kiss you!"


Okay I lied about that.  But the slow blinking works.  Really.  


You're very welcome.


.

4 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that when you blink slowly at them its like a cat kiss..... can't remember where I read that...
    Christmas is over, thank goodness lots went on here at the home front, some good some not so good, I am holding it together but its not easy being me ..... LOL!!
    I feel like Sheera Princess of Power remember her? .....
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes do this with Morgan ... and I always win :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried with my cats but I will now that you mentioned it. I know they trust me though as they always show their tummies when they stretch and want to be petted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, next time the stray cat comes into the back yard and sits up on the lawn chair in the sun, I'll grab an umbrella drink and head out at eye level. Anything to get out of work, lol

    ReplyDelete