Sunday, January 9, 2011

On being nice.

.

It's sort of amazing the kind of connections you make online, the people you grow to care about and come to know.  Of course you don't really know them, for the most part people can be whoever they want to be online.  But you read people's blogs and you follow their stories and you can't help yourself.  You care.


I have shed tears over misfortunes people have experienced, donated money and written emails of condolence or support to people who touch me.


The funny thing is, I do not let many people get too close to me in "real life."  Psychoanalyse me up and down and all day long, I don't care.  Whether or not I have had greater hurts or betrayals in my life than anyone else or not, apparently what has happened causes me to protect myself.  And I choose not to find out if I can change that or not.  It is a state of affairs I am very much aware of and I like my shield, thank you very much.  But, I can still make a difference sometimes.  


Besides no more Ambien, I think I have a resolution for the year after all.  Through this blog and commenting on others and forming those bonds online, I have discovered how much it means to someone sometimes, to hear something positive or encouraging from someone else.  I hope I have touched some people in a good way, I can guarantee you others have done it for me.  It doesn't have to be a big gesture, sometimes it's just making someone smile once in an otherwise sucky day.  Other times it's reminding someone that they matter.  We all have the ability to touch other people.  It's easy to say one more nice thing than you normally would, smile when you might not feel like it, or toss a lifeline to someone who needs a hand up.  


Doing that is my resolution for the year.  Nothing big or grand but I want to make one person's day, every day.  It really doesn't take much and I'm betting I will get it back in spades.  


And just so y'all know, I appreciate you.  Those that comment and those that do not.  I am glad to have the chance to know you even if it's only in a small way.  You matter to me.


                                 ****************
So far so good on getting my money back for my Ambien fueled idiocy.  But we will see if it's really as easy at it seems.  Will let you know!

.

9 comments:

  1. I for one have gotten to know you more from your blog and continue to enjoy reading it. You yourself have been so kind to visit many blogs and taken the time to comment. I shall never forget you first followed my blog when hardly anyone did. More than 3 years is pretty amazing! Thanks BetteJo! Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can echo the comments above .You have been such a loyal follower even at the times when you have had so much going on in your own life BetteJo and you have often made me smile and made a real difference to me in one way or another . So thank you and its so appreciated! Shelagh xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies, you're the best. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend not to get too close to people unless I really really really know them. I blame my messed-up childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were 2 of a kind, I have many many friends but not many I would call close friends.
    The blogs are wonderful friend makers, I agree you can't help but feel involved in peoples lives, you read their blog when ever they put out a post and they endear themselves to you.I have enjoyed your blog for a good long time,and will continue for a good long time.
    Yup I have been through some really emotional heart breaking life changing things as you have as well and I thank God I have people like you who care enough to say Hi and take care of yourself, like you said it dosen't have to be much but some sort of communication from a stranger/friend means so much, its a hand reaching out.I want to thank you for that very much.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pretty much never comment, but I so appreciate you, and I'm sorry for not commenting. I am always here reading, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too check in time to time, I'm one who needs an extra smile to boost the day and I can count on Maxine as much as you can. I'd be so lucky to be part of your New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been more of a friend to me than a lot of my so called friends. Thank you for taking the time for the rest of us. I know I appreciate it and always look forward to reading your blog. It lets me know I am not alone in my struggle to get through the rough times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am catching up on posts in my reader, so I know I'm late, but I know just what you mean. Online community has done so much for me in the past four years. I can't even properly describe how life changing it has been. Imagine how unlikely it would have been for us to ever connect without the internet, but here we are...buddies. Love it.

    ReplyDelete