Friday, January 21, 2011

Risking the rude stuff

.
I'm supposed to have a sleep study done pretty soon.  Hopefully.  My reaction?  "Coo-o-o-o-o-l!!"  I've always thought it sounded like a neat thing to do.  A friend of mine had one recently and found out she stopped breathing 4 times during the night.  Not sure I want to know that.  But on the other hand, it's still cool to go somewhere and get all wired up and find out what you do at the one time every day that you have no idea what you are doing.  I mean really.  You could be sleep walking, you could be crank calling strangers.  Of course you could be sleeping peacefully and not making a sound, or you could be snorting like a pig and baying like a beagle.  You. Don't. Know.  


So I am hoping to do this in the next month or so.  From what I have been told they recommend you bring your own pillows if that will make you comfortable, your favorite jammies, a book, your laptop, whatever will help you feel at home and contribute to the most normal sleep you can get away from home with goobered up wires stuck in your hair and down your shirt and wherever else they put them.  


The only creepy thing about it to me is - they don't just watch the monitors.  They watch you.  How many people do you suppose scratch and wipe and make noises with accompanying odors that have nothing to do with the sleep study, but someone is observing anyway?  I mean - there could be people behind a window making a drinking game out of every time you *insert disgusting action here*.  Again, you just. don't. know.


I guess I'll risk the ridicule to find out why I don't sleep well anymore when it used to be one of my specialties.  Oh I was a champion sleeper!  Now - I toss and turn all night long.  And I am so tired.  I won't bring my pillows or a favorite blanket or anything, but you can bet I will bring my laptop and Eeyore.  Yes, I sleep with Eeyore.  He comes with me.  I mean really, you need someone to blame the rude stuff on, don't you?
.
.

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to menopause! Even if you aren't experiencing hot flushes, the "change" thus affect sleep. Ever consider taking evening primrose oil? It might help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think it would be weird sleeping in a strange spot knowing that you are being watched.

    In the last six months, I've been waiting up wide FREAKIN' awake in the middle of the night for an hour or so. Very frustrating :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one has ever suggested evening primrose oil for sleep problems. Although I do have some - just don't take it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I could play that drinking game every night with my husband. I would be drunk all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I could ever sleep in those circumstances, I have to have everything "just so" before I can drop off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would not sleep at all with all that stuff on me. And is it strange that I too sleep with Eeyore? I feel like I haven't slept a full night in years and I doubt that I ever will. I think my body has just adjusted to it. I hope the sleep study helps. Can't wait to read that blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry about any noises, I'm sure they have heard them all besides they need something for this drinking game and bet they place. It might as well be someone with a sense of humor.
    My good old faithful machine of 25 years gave up the ghost this past October and the new one runs like a deer. We have a hard time sleeping as it is so quiet.
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tonya - Eeyore lover? Is it because you can relate to him like I can? Because there has to be a real good reason that 2 women our age are sleeping with blue donkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. KJ had a sleep study done when he was six months old. There were wires everywhere on him, and though I barely slept a wink, he did okay, haha. I wouldn't worry too much about what you look like or do while you sleep. People in professions such as feet and gynecology know what they're signing up for, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a sleep study done in 2002. I slept very little, because I just couldn't get comfortable with all those electrodes attached to my body.

    I used to sleep well also, but now have borderline insomnia.

    One thing that I have tried lately is drinking no caffeinated beverages...at all, ever. I used to drink caffeine in the morning, but now, not even before noon, never, ever.

    Surprisingly it has helped me sleep better. Hell, it helps me get to sleep. Who knew caffeine stayed in my system for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if they would let me bring my dog and my sleeping pills? I seriously can't sleep without either of them.

    ReplyDelete