Thursday, June 21, 2007

Revelations and disappointment

Last night in Etsy forums a thread was started called Opalite is not a gemstone. At least I believe that's the name. http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5135256 It was all about the trend toward gemstones (or not) being misidentified. It is something that started to disturb me not too long ago when I started to realize I did not know enough about the stones themselves - that I was using. This thread really brought home how you cannot just believe someone because they sell it as say - pineapple quartz. That's not quartz - it's glass! There is no such thing as pineapple quartz. I did not know this. When I started to make jewelry I bought my beads based on how pretty they were, how unusual, etc. But now I kind of feel like the dumb blond with her finger in her cheek and vacant look in her eyes!

The result of the whole thread - which last time I looked had over 400 posts and was still on the first page under Buying and Selling - is that I have decided I must educate myself to a greater degree. There isn't anything wrong with using synthetic stones. There is nothing wrong with glass or acrylic or whatever people choose to use. But if you don't identify them accurately you are misrepresenting what you are selling. Oh I hate the thought! I identify the beads in my jewelry as what they were represented as to me when I bought them. But I need to know what I'm buying - not just what people TELL me I am buying. I am glad that I do not charge in the upper ranges for my jewelry, I think I DO charge what it is worth. But my goal has been to get more skilled at what I am doing and this is just one more aspect of that. I need to educate myself and have ordered the books that were recommended last night. I guess I'm going to get an edumication!!! :) By choice. :)

Quick note on the diet - I did fine today - there are enough different things you eat during the day to keep most people satisfied I would think. I missed my afternoon snack, but I will make sure I get all of it in tomorrow. I will say that I am heartily disappointed in my dessert option tonight though. And unfortunately it is the option I ordered the most of. :( It is the chocolate cake. It wasn't nearly as chocolaty (is that a word?) as I was expecting, and the texture was kind of mushy. Icky. I will have to cook it a bit longer next time, but my microwave is one that you generally don't go over a normal cook time with so we will see. I have a huge sweet tooth so I was really counting on that dessert option to be good. Still - everything else I ate today was good - and tomorrow I have planned a bit better since Dani and I ran to the store and stocked up on produce and the like. I know what I am having for breakfast, lunch, and snack because those are all during work hours.

It's good to have a plan. :) Disappointed in the chocolate cake but not discouraged. Onward! Search for women's issues like menopause, peri-menopause, osteoporosis, feminism, complexion, shoes, hair, makeup, manicure, motherhood, pregnancy, breastfeeding, hormones, daycare, health, and everyday concerns.

5 comments:

  1. Good job making it through the first day! The first few are always the hardest. If you bulk up on good fibers it will help you to feel fuller faster and stay full longer without feeling heavy and weighed down. Good luck over the weekend when you won't have work as a distraction to not just snack and eat all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support Tonia! I really appreciate it. It's nice of you to take the time out to read and comment on my blog when you must be SO busy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing this with someone is a very good way to stay on track! I'm betting you will do well! Looking forward to seeing before and afters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't all those fruity sounding quartzes pretty though even if they are considered simulated or manmade gemstones? They are reconstituted from quartz sand as is glass but with pretty swirls of colour and apparently difficult to produce. They are cut, faceted and polished like natural gemstones. Thanks for visiting my blog - I have a post on clear quartz that you might like to read - http://www.beadinggem.com/2007/01/fortune-telling-gemstone.html

    ReplyDelete